Saturday, February 26, 2011

Not So Bad, Not So Scary

Yesterday's post title was a wee bit harsh.  That's what I get for blogging under the influence of OTC drugs.  Damn you, Mucinex!  And your mood-altering properties, too!

Today, I'm only influenced by my usual boat-load of coffee... and the craptastic weather we're experiencing in the northern climes of MN.  It's snowing.  AGAIN.  And it's freezing.  AGAIN.  However, I won't let the snow get me down.  I have awesome dinner plans tonight with my most favorite dining partner (my Mom) at a restaurant we've been longing to try.  And it's near-ish to our houses, so the nasty roads won't thwart our plans.

In short, life ain't so bad.  Another thing making life suck less is this - Pale Demon, the latest in the Rachel Morgan series by Kim Harrison is out and available for purchase.  I am so on that shizz, let me tell you.  And I'm not alone.  As my sister (in law) says about the series, "I love it when my multi-character fantasy series keeps it real." Yes.

Not only do Sis and I read Kim Harrison, my goddaughter does, too.  And, ready or not, she started reading it when she was a mere lass of 12.  Which prompted this convo with her monther, my bestie Laura:

Laura - "Is this appropriate for a preteen?  Is there a ton of sex?  You know, not alluding to sex, but actual sex sex?"
Me - "Umm.  Well.  Hey, you read tons of Harlequin Romances when we were kids, and you turned out just fine."
Laura - "So there's sex."
Me - "Yes.  Yes there is.  But it's not icky, p0rn0 sex like in Laurel K. Hamilton!  No one gets raped by a vampire whilst it's decomposing!"  Yeah, that's my standard for appropriateness.  No decomposition during sex.
Laura - "Okay...moving on.  Is it scary?  Will it keep her up at night?  She needs her sleep."
Me - "Pff, no.  It's intense and suspenseful, but not scary.  This isn't John Connolly or Stephen King, here."
Laura - "So it's not gory, then."
Me - "Umm.  Hmm.  How far into the series has she gotten?"
Laura - "BOOK FOUR.  WHY???"
Me - "Yeah.  Oops.  She probably shouldn't have read the second book."
Laura - "WHY?????  What have you let my child read???"  In my defense, goddaughter found the books on her own.  I had nothing to do with it.
Me - "Book two, The Good, The Bad, and the Undead, has this serial killer.  Who, you know, cuts people up.  And rearranges the bodies in icky ways.  So yeah, it's kind of gory.  Sorry honey!  You look really pretty today..."
Laura - *headsteeringwheel*

And that's my summary of the Rachel Morgan series - good sex, but nothing p0rny.  Lots of suspense, but not scary enough to keep you up at night.  And the second book is gorier than the rest by a TON.  However, as it's about a serial killer, it fits the story and doesn't feel gratuitous.

The only negative comment I have?  I got really bored with the endless debate/stress/emphasis/discussion of whether Rachel and Ivy could find a blood balance.  Too much time is spent on this issue - to the point you just stop caring.  Get over it, you two!  We all have!

What books are you looking forward to reading?  And, are they scary?

4 comments:

  1. God yes. Anything to do with Rachel's romantic partner's gets a little bit dull, especially since most of the guys are messed up. I just finished Pale Demon and it was very good.

    I'm looking forward to Dead Reckoning (Charlaine Harrison), Spell Bound (Kelley Armstrong), Ghost Story (Jim Butcher) and the final Vicki Pettersson novel.

    My mom started me on Mercedes Lackey's Heralds of Valdemar books around 12-13, which has about similar amounts of sex and gore (and angst omg). Better that she be finding it out from books. I also highly suggest those if she's at all interested in horses and high fantasy. I hate to warn you - they will keep her up at night, but only because there are so many novels and they are just that good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of this series but now Imma check it out!~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I remember that conversation. Also, I am looking forward to the next Jim Butcher (after you return the last one so I can read that), as well as those damn Sookie Stackhouse things you have me addicted to.

    Otherwise? Having now read everything Charlaine Harris has ever written (the good, the bad and the UGLY), I need to find something new. Sigh.
    Big Smooches - Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this series! I am one book behind right now. I think this would have been fine for a pre-teen.

    Heh, I grew up reading Harlequins too!

    ReplyDelete