Thursday, May 5, 2011

My Teen Angst Bulls@#t Now Has A Body Count

Quick, name that movie!  I'll give you a hint, it's from the 80's and it. is. EPIC.  In fact, my buds and I may be dressing like the characters from said movie at a Con Coming Soon To A Town Near You (and by soon, I mean Costume Con 2012, and by town, I mean Tempe, AZ.).

Anywho, speaking of the 80's, (1988 to be exact, when both Heathers and the film I'm about to rave about came out) I'd like to give a shout-out to an unsung horror classic from that era, and personal fave of mine.  That film is...wait for it... Pumpkinhead.

Yes, I said Pumpkinhead.  What of it?

Well, what of it?  Why do I like it?  First of all, it is a perfect, over-the-top, Deep Southern Gothic - what with the witch's house and the swamp and the rednecks and the accents.  Deep, deep southern juju makes anything 1000% scarier to me.  Because this Yankee has been to the Deep South.  And it can be a wee bit frightening, let me tell you.

Also, it stars B-Movie Great, Lance Hendrickson.  I *big squishy red heart* LOVE this guy.  I will, and have, seen any movie or TV show he's been on.  Aliens?  Check.  Alien 3 (aka the worst Aliens EVER)?  Check.  Pumpkinhead 4, Blood Feud?  CheckMATE, my friends.  I even watched Millennium, and that s@#t was painful, peeps.

And finally, Pumpkinhead is just GOOD.  The whole vengence angle, the kids trying to do the right thing but messing it up angle, the "Oh GAH, we can't even cower in a church somewhere" angle, it all works.  And the monster design?  Tres scary, especially at the end when its face starts to morph into... well.  I don't want to give it away.

Instead, I'll say this:  Add Pumpkinhead to your Netflicks queue.  I think you'll like it.

1 comment:

  1. The movie is the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which I saw in the theatre! I also owned Heathers on VHS. :) Are you going to be Buffy?? I would so be Willow!

    I love Lance Henrickson - Bishop! I totally agree on Aliens 3, but Aliens Resurrection is the worst. Winona Ryder, Sigourney cloned with nail polish? WTF? References to toaster ovens? And sadly...it was written by Joss Whedon. And I know you know who that is, Erin!

    I have not seen Pumpkinhead, but I'll look for it.

    ReplyDelete